The Student News Site of Saint Thomas Aquinas High School

Buckeye Huddle/PHOTO BY TONY GERDEMAN
Ohio State Spring Game
April 24, 2024

Sam Burley Hall of Fame Invitational

On March 1st-2nd, 2024 St. Thomas Aquinas took part in the Sam Burley Invitational at Tropical Park. The Aquinas Raiders performed very well on both days of the competition.

Prelims
On the boys’ team, in the 100m dash, senior Cameron Williams placed 15th, and sophomores Jermiyah Douglas and Jordan Roche placed 21st and 22nd. In the 200m dash, junior Tavius Horne placed 9th, and senior Qwesi Allen placed 15th. In the 400m dash, freshmen Ashton Mitchell and Mekhi Chamberlain placed 8th and 9th. In the 800m run, senior Christopher Adams placed 3rd place, sophomore Jeremiah Hollasie placed 6th, and junior Gustavo Perez placed 28th. In the 1600m run, Jeremiah Holassie placed 8th. In the 3200m run, junior Marco Risaino placed 10th and Gustavo Perez placed 17th. In the 110m hurdle dash, sophomore Tyler Black placed 27th. In the 400m hurdles, Tyler Black placed 24th. The 4x100m relay came in 5th place. The 4×200 relay came in 4th place.

On the girls’ team, in the 100m dash, Junior Isys Crockett placed 22nd, Alexis Sutton placed 32nd, and Alana Johnson placed 27th. In the 200m dash, freshman Jordyn Drowning placed 7th and qualified for finals. In the 400m, junior Chanel Morgan placed 3rd, qualifying for the finals. Senior Maya Maycock-Beckles placed 9th and freshman Ayanna Bryant placed 33rd. In the 800m run, freshman Remy Coia placed 23rd and Junior Alexis Morgan placed 44th. The girls 4×100 relay qualified in 1st place as well as 4×200 relay.

Finals

In the finals of the girls’ 200m, freshman Jordan Downing finished 5th. In the Girls’ 400m, Junior Shanell Morgan finished 3rd. In the girls 1600m Junior Grace Finneran finished in 2nd with Freshman Remy Coia finishing in 29th. In the 100m hurdles Junior Arianna Allen came in 7th as well finishing 6th in the 400m hurdles in front of fellow Junior Kelyse Jackson who finished in 7th. In the 4×100 the St. Thomas Aquinas girls finished in 4th place. They went on to finish 2nd in the 4×400.

In the boys’ 400m, Freshman Ashton Mitchell finished 7th. Senior Christopher Adams III finished 7th in the boys’ 800m. In the boys’ 1600m Sophomore Jeremiah Holassie came in 8th. In the 3200m Juniors Marco Ristaino and Gustavo Perez finished in 10th and 17th. In the 4×100 the St. Thomas Aquinas boys finished 8th. They finished 6th in the 4×200 1:31.11 and 4th in the 4×400 3:25.13. Captain Maya Maycock had this to say “I felt like the team did very well overall, everyone on the team had many PR’s and as a whole the team did good.”