Introduction To MUN

Introduction to MUN: Courtesy of Francesco Ortoleva.

MUN, which stands for Model United Nations, is a club where students imitate the United Nations and act as delegates. The club participates in different committees where students discuss and imitate different global topics as a specific nation. MUN co-president, Matias Velasco, explains “In Model United nations we simulate the international organization that is the United Nations. We compete in simulations where we may be put in a variety of committee types ranging from General Assemblies to Crises.”

What Is a Committee? 

A conference entails exciting college field trips for STA MUN members. During the conferences, MUN members discuss controversial topics with other high schools and participate in two different activities: General Assemblies(GA) and Crisis. In the GA event, students act as different countries where they engage in committees and discuss modern issues experienced by the world. In a Crisis, students participate in the embodiment of specific people and events. These events can range from historic elements to imaginary. Instead of acting as a country in a Crisis, students act as certain people in that specific event. For example, a delegate may be a general in a war, police officer, or even a pokemon hunter. Students in MUN can win awards by participating in the committee and progressing through the debate. Award categories include: Outstanding Small Delegation, Best Small Delegation, Outstanding Large Delegation, Best Large Delegation, Best Position Paper, Verbal Commendation, Outstanding Delegate, and Best Delegate.         

How To Get Involved In MUN

St. Thomas Aquinas’s Model United Nations Club can help you find and figure out what career you want to pursue. For example, MUN is a great stepping stone to become a splendid diplomat. It can also look very impressive on a student’s college resume if they perform well in the committees they attend and participate. Students in STA can get involved in MUN by attending the meetings in Mr. Ortelevea’s classroom in Room 212 and participating in the events MUN partakes. Overall, it is a great way to build your debate skills and become a fantastic public speaker. 

To contact Mr. Ortelevea: [email protected]

Co-Presidents: connor.graham@aquinas-sta.org and matias.velasco@aquinas-sta.org.