The Student News Site of Saint Thomas Aquinas High School

Buckeye Huddle/PHOTO BY TONY GERDEMAN
Ohio State Spring Game
April 24, 2024

All About the Spanish Club

All About the Spanish Club

The Spanish Club provides opportunities for its members to appreciate and celebrate Hispanic Culture. The Spanish Club here at STA is moderated by Mr. Henry Salazar. The President and Vice-President of the Spanish Club are Isabela Benito and Matias Lauria. The club meetings are held in room 302 with Señor Salazar.

The Spanish Club is currently hosting a toy drive where students collect toys to be distributed to children who may not receive a Christmas present due to low income. This drive is organized with Hispanic Unity of Florida.  The club also hosts fiestas where Señor Salazar teaches members how to dance salsa and merengue. During club meetings, members also play games and enjoy food brought in. Additionally, Señor Salazar collects top tabs to give members an opportunity to get service hours. At the end of the year, the Spanish Club picks a foundation to donate all of the money raised throughout the year! 

Señor Salazar stated, “I feel so proud to be the moderator for all of these activities and open my heart to serve the community and students themselves.” He also adds, “The club helps me create a sense of support for the ones in need and lets me see my students in another environment and show them how fun it is to communicate in different languages.”

Matias Lauria shares that he became Vice-President of the Spanish Club because “Señor Salazar asked me to.” Matias shares that the purpose of the Spanish Club is “to share our Hispanic culture with each other along with games, food, and drinks.” He enjoys the Spanish Club because “I can hang out with my friends along with sharing my culture with them while we play games and eat Hispanic food.”

The Spanish Club offers great opportunities to make friends and indulge in cultures throughout South America!