The Student News Site of Saint Thomas Aquinas High School

Making A Big Step Into Adulthood: College Choices

As seniors, choosing a college is taking a big step into adulthood, if you haven’t already reached that milestone. While growing up, you may have heard your parents’ thoughts on what you ought to be when you get older. You may have chosen something generic, something your parents would’ve wanted to hear, such as being a doctor or a lawyer. However, as you grew older, those options would be something that you would take into consideration as you were finishing your last year of high school. Throughout those years, you have probably gotten yourself more comfortable with the topic of college majors, such as engineering, law, or even the medical field. However, the real question is, “What college should I choose that best provides the resources I need to pursue my dream job?”

Medical Field 

For students wanting to pursue a career in health or nursing, it would be best to find a University with a pre-med program.. Colleges such as UF (University of Florida College of Medicine), is a reputable in-state option.. Having around 30 departments and being in the top 20 public medical schools in World Reports, it’s a great institution to launch your medical career. The tuition is around 20,000 dollars; however, in order to be accepted, you must have a minimum 3.8 GPA and a 514 on the MCAT, which are basic requirements for almost all medical schools. If you want to go to a college out of the country, University of Toronto, which is in Canada, is another great option. It not only provides pathways for future med students, but also provides options for engineering as well. 

Engineering

For students interested in engineering, some schools to take note of are Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Purdue University. Their application fees are around 60 dollars for U.S residents. They all provide many opportunities and guidance in a variety of fields. (Communications, Civil, Mechanical Engineering, etc.) They are also listed in the top ten Engineering schools. The University of Austin, Texas and Purdue University have a tuition of around 30,000 dollars, whilst Stanford University has a tuition of around 50,000 dollars. Taking advantage of scholarships is recommended as tuition is high and there are many scholarships options that are accepted at the schools.

Law

Lastly, for students wanting to pursue the study of law, some recommended schools would include Stanford University, Florida State University, and Florida International University. Both FSU and FIU have a similar tuition cost, both being around 20,000 in-state. What is great about those schools is that their bar exam scores (required to become a lawyer) consistently reflect a 75% first time pass rate, which decreases the chances of having to take it more than once. 

The list of potential majors and universities is as varied as the interests students possess.  Careers such as art, science, music, theatre, design, and many more can be developed and refined at the University level. In the end, the choice is yours, and it is up to you to decide.