The Student News Site of Saint Thomas Aquinas High School

Sports Management
June 5, 2024
Sports Management
Sports Management
June 5, 2024

Scottie Scheffler Arrested

https://abcnews.go.com/US/number-1-golfer-world-scottie-scheffler-arrested-prior/story?id=110333394

Two-time Masters Champion and the world’s number one ranked golfer Scottie Scheffler was arrested Friday, May 17th around 6:00 am. Scheffler was trying to enter Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Kentucky, where this year’s PGA Championship was held. Around 5:00 am, a pedestrian was hit and killed by a shuttle bus outside of the Valhalla Golf club, causing major traffic due to golf fans trying to get into the event. Traffic was backed up about a mile in both directions leading toward the entrance of Valhalla Golf Club. Police say Scheffler illegally drove past the scene of the accident. Scheffler was charged with reckless driving, second-degree assault of a police officer, third-degree criminal mischief, and disregarding traffic signals from an officer directing traffic. The assault charge is a felony while the other charges are misdemeanors. 

Jason Logsdon of the Louisville Metro Department of Corrections told ESPN that Scheffler was released at 8:40 am that day without bail. Scheffler showed up to Valhalla Golf Club less than an hour before he was scheduled to tee off for the PGA Championship. Scheffler proceeded to Birdie his first hole of the day on a par 5. Izaiah Ortiz, a senior on the St. Thomas Aquinas High School golf team said, “We don’t want to see the people we look up to make the wrong choices like Tiger Woods did.” Tiger Woods was arrested in 2017 due to reckless driving and driving under the influence. Tiger Woods has won 82 PGA Tour events and it is disappointing to the golf community to see idols like him and Scheffler get in trouble for making the wrong choices.