The Student News Site of Saint Thomas Aquinas High School

Your Future Career Path

The pressure on high school students to make career choices can reach unbearable heights. If the heat is on and you are curious about your options to find a career path that suits your interests, keep reading.

Interested in Medicine:
Careers for those interested in medicine aren’t limited to doctors and nurses. Pharmacists, physicians, and chiropractors are all options as well. If none of those options interest you, you might consider the role of a travel nurse. Travel nurses get to choose where they travel to whether that be cities like Miami, New York, or international destinations as well. They essentially give care in places where there are shortages of help, and on their time off, get to explore a new destination. While travel nursing sounds desirable for some, others would prefer to be anchored down in one place. In this case, a job like a trainer at a school may be a good option for you. You will be able to help injured students get back on their feet.

Interested in Writing:
If you’re interested in a career in writing, one obvious career path is an author. You could also be a ghostwriter and help authors craft fiction and nonfiction stories. Writing scripts for movies is another unique career path that may align with your interests. Another exciting option you might consider is a journalist; you could write articles for papers like the New York Times and conduct interviews with celebrities or important figures in our society. A career path involving writing that is more prevalent nowadays is a social media content manager. You would handle social media accounts for a creator and write or proofread in less of an intense environment. Finally, working as a communications manager would involve writing and communicating both internally and externally with a company. If you’d prefer an office environment, this may be a good choice for you.

Interested in Film:
Students who are interested in film, in front or behind the camera, might excel in movie production. Actors and actresses perform in front of a camera, bringing a script to life. Behind the scenes, there are production and sound designers, studio managers, and the film crew. After the production is finished, a movie or show needs a film editor to go through the raw footage and bring the idea to life. More career paths in film include entertainment lawyers, who help protect intellectual property; film critics, who review unreleased movies; and animators, who add computer-generated effects to a film. All of these careers work together to bring our favorite movies to the theaters.

Interested in Music:
Musicians, you might have thought about career paths like singers, songwriters, band members, or being a part of an ensemble. If you want to work with other musicians, music tutoring or being a manager for a band might align with your interests. You could also be a DJ or work on the radio.

Interested in Travel:
As mentioned above, travel nursing is a great option for someone who loves to travel. Another unique career path is a flight attendant, a job which would enable you to travel often and get frequent days off. Flight attendants can only work 95 hours per month per aviation guidelines, meaning they work (average) 24 hour work weeks, giving them several days free, a major perk. For those who’d prefer more freedom of choice in their travels, a travel writer may be a perfect fit. Travel writers document their experience in a destination, detailing information about food, hotels, locals, and language. They write everything you’d like to know before you go. If you’d prefer a more long-term job that involves traveling, maybe teaching English as a second language is well-suited for you. Finally, a unique fun job experience is that of an au pair: an international “nanny” who is integrated into the family and acts as a temporary member. Au pairs get to live with a host family and explore a new place with locals as their guide.