Healthy School Lunches For Success
Categories:

Healthy School Lunches For Success

Imagine a school lunch that not only satisfies hunger but is also a fuel for academic success! For millions of students across the country, school lunches provide energy required to continue on throughout their school hours. However, for most students this vital energy is taken from processed junk food which lacks nutritional value. The struggle for “healthy school lunches” has been a problem in the U.S for decades. Although healthier school lunches may be more costly, the benefits by far outweigh their cost with students showing mental and physical improvements.

By: Rimma Bondarenko

There have been many studies showing that eating a healthy lunch can improve mental health. Sometimes, you might find yourself zoning out of a teacher’s lecture and feeling helpless  to prevent it. Well, eating nutritiously helps to improve concentration and focus, which is essential for academic success. Vitamins such as vitamin B , vitamin D, and omega 3 are all crucial for your body. Eating healthy lunches will eventually become a habit, leading to an increase of energy throughout the day, promoting positive moods.

In addition to improving your mental health, healthy foods can also positively impact your physical health. A healthy school lunch will provide your physical body with all the needed nutrients in order for it to function, grow, and thrive. Additionally, eating healthy can prevent obesity as well as other chronic health conditions. Physical and mental health go hand in hand; while one can worsen the other, they can also benefit each other. 

According to a survey of STA students, about 56% of students buy lunch every day, 30% buy based on what’s being given, and 15% bring their own lunch. This means out of the 2,000 kids at STA, around 1120 students are guaranteed to buy lunch every day. Even though STA offers a lot of healthy options, almost 80% of students just buy what tastes the best without looking at the nutritional facts. As said above, lunch can impact your day in many different ways, negatively or positively. To help put you on track, take a moment to look at an example of a healthy meal plan so that you are able to achieve success in school.

5-day Healthy Meal Plan for Lunch at School:

Monday: Cheeseburger/Hamburger

Tuesday: Pasta w/ meatballs

Wednesday: Salad

Thursday: Grilled Chicken Sandwich

Friday: Wrap

Donate to
$75
$1200
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Saint Thomas Aquinas High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.