The Student News Site of Saint Thomas Aquinas High School

Under the Lights: The Raider Regiment’s Halftime Performance

Shining in their sparkly sequined costumes, the St. Thomas Aquinas Raiderettes beamed on the football field during halftime alongside the Raider Regiment. In their 2023 showcase, the Raider Regiment performed “Applause” by Lady Gaga, “Shake it Off” by Taylor Swift, “ABC” by the Jackson Five, “Bang Bang” by Ariana Grande, Jessie J, and Nicki Minaj, and completed their show with the Raider Fight Song. The half-time show was led by Senior Drum Major, Kate Fitzwilliam. 

Our Raiderettes were led by Senior Baton Captain Gabriella Merthyl, who choreographed the Baton Twirlers performances of ABC and Bang Bang alongside their coach, Ashley Bishop, who choreographed the Twirlers Performances of Applause, “Shake it Off,” and “Bang Bang.” At the end of the football season, the Raider Football program made it to the state championship, allowing the Raider Regiment Seniors to have one last halftime show in Tallahassee. “It was fun cheering on our football players, but I felt extremely anxious performing on a university field,” said Raiderette Captain Gabriella Merthyl, who said she ultimately enjoyed her last game at a big stadium. “Although I was anxious, it was nice having my last hurrah at the FAMU football stadium.” 

The Baton Twirlers march in parades with the Raider Regiment and also compete in Marching Band competitions and assessments. During their competitions and assessments, the Raider Regiment performs their halftime show in front of a set of judges. In  their FBA MPA Marching Band Assessment, the Regiment earned an Excellent in Visual Performance, a Good in General Effect, two Excellents in Music, an Excellent in Percussion, and an Excellent in Auxiliary. 

The St. Thomas Aquinas Auxiliary consists of the Raiderettes and Color Guard. The Color Guard is led by Junior Color Guard Captain, Mirlissa Fenelus and Sophomore Color Guard Captain, Calli Kosar. This  season, the Raider Regiment performed at the Boca Christmas Parade, where they showcased their talents in music and marching, while the auxiliary showed off their choreography and twirls. “I always feel happy when I see little kids smiling at me in my costume!” said Baton Twirler, Laura Aluka. “They get excited when they see us and start cheering.”