The Significance of Lent and Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday, which occurs six and a half weeks before Easter, begins the season of Lent. According to Britanica,“Ash Wednesday is a solemn reminder of human mortality and the need for reconciliation with God. Christians closely observe Ash Wednesday with fasting and ashes.” Moreover, it is also a time for reflection and repentance in preparation for the celebration of the Lord’s resurrection during Easter. 

The History of Lent

On Ash Wednesday, we remember the palms that were laid on Jesus’ path as he arrived in Jerusalem before being crucified. Lent is estimated to have begun in 29 AD, a few centuries after Jesus died. The season lasts exactly 40 days from Ash Wednesday to Holy Thursday, the day of  Jesus’ supper before his death. After, there are three days called the Easter Triduum, which include Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday. The Easter Triduum marks the end of the Lenten season and is a period of time that traces Jesus’ ultimate death to his resurrection on Easter Sunday. The length of Lent was chosen to be 40 days because the biblical number 40 is indicative of a time of testing, penance and reconciliation. This is illustrated in the story where Jesus spent 40 days in the desert to fast and pray; the Bible tells us that Jesus was led into the desert to be tempted by the devil, yet he refrained from being tempted. Additionally, Moses spent 40 days and nights on Mt. Sinai while waiting to receive the Ten Commandments. 

Fasting

During Lent, those who are Christians, fast for 40 days. Christians fast as a way to repent and turn away from sins. The Mission Post says, “When we fast, we discipline our bodies and train our minds to be obedient to our will.By training our bodies, it helps us to “resist future sin.” Common things that people usually give up during Lent are coffee, alcohol, meat, gossiping, social media, fast food, swearing, dining out, and more. 

The Significance of the Ashes

Ashes symbolize mourning, mortality, and penance. The ashes used are burned from previous palms used on Palm Sunday. According to El Paso Times, “The ashes symbolize both death and repentance. Christians show repentance and mourning for their sins because they believe Christ died for them.” When the ashes are put onto your forehead, the person or priest that is applying the ashes will either say “Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return” or “Repent and believe in the Gospel.”

Ash Wednesday Mass Remembrance

On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at the Saint Thomas Aquinas Ash Wednesday Mass, students acknowledged a day of remembrance for those who were lost on Valentine’s Day in 2018 at the shooting of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. A wooden Lenten cross draped in purple ribbons with a heart attached to one end symbolized the 17 lives that were lost. Their names were inscribed on each of the hearts. On the other side of the purple heart, there was a red heart made of burlap, a traditional Lenten material.  Student performers from STA’s liturgical band, Crossroads, sang “Please Stay” by Jake Runestad as a reminder for those in attendance to cherish their memory.