STA students waiting to be picked up after a day at school.
Nickarlens Dupervil
Categories:

STA’s New Schedule System Takes Effect

On August 15, 2024, a new Saint Thomas Aquinas school year began for all grades. Unlike recent school years, this year’s schedule for every student has been changed.  Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays feature the typical A- F schedules.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, periods A and F are swapped.

Some speculate that this schedule change was made to ease the minds of those who perform worse near the end of a school day; others say it’s intended to ease the schedule for athletes. Regardless of the reasons, students didn’t hesitate to show their frustration or support for these changes.

STA students hurrying to class. (Nickarlens Dupervil)

In the past, schedules consisted of classes A, B, C, D, E and F in alphabetical order, ending at 2:30pm. During period A, students would watch PrimeTime (a PSAT/Preliminary National Merit Scholarship prep course) which would help them prepare for the real SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). This order felt natural to all grade levels as it was the typical setup for a school day.

STA students walking to lunch. (Nickarlens Dupervil)

The change in schedule has proven to be a trial for many STA students. Senior Sanai Gordon said,“I ike the schedule , and I think it’s good for STA students, especially the athletes, but I also don’t like it because I feel it confuses many students the first time.” Junior Felipe Tobon added, “I honestly like the schedule change because I feel it works best for the athletes and many students who need it.” Now, students wait to see what other changes will come to the halls of Saint Thomas Aquinas High School.

Donate to
$75
$1200
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Saint Thomas Aquinas High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.